General Purpose Systems
PARAMAX or PARAMACS
MACSYMA (Project MAC's SYmbolic MAnipulation System) is a large
computer algebra system for symbolic and numerical computations.
Originally MACSYMA was developed by the MATH lab group at M.I.T.
The descendants of MACSYMA (circa 1982) fall into two camps, viz.,
the commercialized Symbolics MACSYMA and its successor from Macsyma, Inc.,
and the versions released to National Energy Software Center at Argonne,
Illinois, which are based on the "public" MIT source code for the
DEC PDP-10 MACLisp system. The latter ones do not have the Symbolics
enhancements, but they have been modified from time to time by several
individuals or groups.
One of these modifications is known as PARAMAX and as PARAMACS.
It is a Common-Lisp based implementation, which has been ported from the
original MACLisp source.
PARAMAX is available for VAX/VMS under DEC VAXLisp 2.2, and on SUN-3
and SUN-4 under Franz, Inc. Allegro Common Lisp. Versions for SGI are
also available, and MAC/PC versions are being worked on.
Maintenance, phone services, and site licensing are available.
Paradigm Associates, Inc.
29 Putnam Avenue, Suite 6
Cambridge, MA 02139
Features/Enhancements of PARAMAX include
- Has a garbage collector under DEC Common Lisp and can now run under VMS
BATCH mode using command files (both unlike the older NIL Lisp version.)
- Full Macsyma Consortium (MIT-MC) environment with SHARE library files
compiled, including source, demo, usage, and verification files.
- Numerous bug fixes throughout the kernel of Macsyma.
- Completely updated on-line documentation. Changed pages to Part I of the
- Enhanced PRIMER, BATCH, DEMO, EXAMPLE, DESCRIBE.
- PLOT2 graphics supporting TEK4014, POSTSCRIPT, and VAXSTATION (UIS), and
UNIX (plot(5)) formats; animation of bitmaps; and bug fixes and speed
- Ability to create a SUSPENDED environment or a static-linked EXE file
under your own copy of VAX-Lisp 2.2 . You only need one copy of VAX-Lisp
to create a portable EXE file, and the EXE file can be constructed so
that you do not need any additional licensing to use the EXE file site-wide.
Contact Paradigm Associates, Inc. for information if you don't have a
VAX-Lisp 2.2 somewhere on site.
The minimum "run-time only" distribution with a 15,000 block shareable EXE
file requires 32,000 blocks
- Passes the extensive Paradigm test-suite, which compares results of
DEMO, EXAMPLE, LPH, SHAREM, SHARE, SHARE1, SHARE2, ODE, and TENSOR example
and demo files with checked-output files.
- GNU EMACS 18.51 for VAX/VMS is included, with sources, and can be called from
inside DOE-Macsyma to edit files which can then be BATCH'ed in Macsyma.
- Prof. Fateman's Macsyma-->TEX converter allows TEX formatting.
- Maintenance, phone services, and site licensing are available
General Purpose Systems.
Last updated: February 21, 1995